The Public Affairs Section (PAS) of the U.S. Embassy Tbilisi is pleased to announce the 2019 Book Translation Program. Through funding translation of key works into Georgian PAS aims to increase the accessibility and affordability of the latest research, analysis, and popular contemporary literature by American authors to the Georgian students, researchers and the general public.
PAS is soliciting proposals to award grants (pending the availability of funds) to the publishing houses and academic institutions to translate books by American authors under the following themes:
- Public Policy: general public policy, also public policy on issues related to the environment, agriculture, health, and education management.
- Media: media ethics, media management, mass communication, and related topics.
- International Relations: international relations, foreign policy, and related topics.
- Law: international law, intellectual property rights, jury trials, and related topics.
- Economics: entrepreneurship, business administration, management, economics, and related topics.
- Literature (fiction considered only if covering the following topics): – civic education, civil society, ethnic, minority and women’s equality, conflict resolution, environment, free flow of information, human rights, public education and advocacy, rule of law.
Preference will be given to recent publications;
Minimum print-run required is 1,000 (smaller print-run considered per terms of the individual project).
The grant recipient is responsible for requesting permission from the copyright holder. After selection as a finalist, the applicant is required to present a copy of the copyright agreement signed by the both parties.
- Each applicant can submit up to five (5) proposals per call.
- Eligible works should be previously unpublished in Georgian.
- Publications should be translated from the original language.
- The program requires 50% cost-share. In co-funding, an approval letter from the relevant organization on the co-funding is required (indicating amount and category of expenses);
- In joint projects, letters of support from project partners describing the roles and responsibilities of each partner are required.
- Application and Submission Information:
- Please submit your project proposals (application attached) via electronic mail at TbilisiGrants@state.gov
Deadlines for submitting applications are:
- January 21, 2019
- May 21, 2019
Please include the program name (Book Translation Program) in the subject line. Please, be advised that emails exceeding 5MB in size won’t be accepted. Documents should be only in Word and PDF format. Applications have to be submitted within the indicated deadline. Late applications will not be considered. Applicants will be informed of the results by email no later than six weeks after the application period.
Content of Application:
- Completed application form
- The translator’s CV/Resume (indicating experience in the translation field, list of translations);
- A copy of the communication or contract with the copyright holder;
- Co-funding letter (if applicable)
- Partnership letter (if applicable)